Is BDS a Good Career Option?
If you are looking for a rewarding career in the healthcare field, then BDS (Bachelor of Dental Surgery) can be an excellent choice. BDS is a professional degree that studies teeth, gums, and oral health. In India, dental health has become a critical issue, and with the increasing demand for dental care, the scope for a career in BDS has grown significantly.
BDS is a five-year undergraduate program that studies oral health and dental care. The program aims to give students the necessary knowledge and skills to become dental surgeons. The course includes theoretical and practical training, which helps students to gain hands-on experience in the field.
Eligibility Criteria for BDS
The eligibility criteria for BDS admission in India are as follows:
- The candidate must have passed the 10+2 qualifying exam or an equivalent degree with a minimum aggregate score of 50% (40% for reserved categories) from a recognized institute.
- The candidate must have studied the subjects of Physics, Chemistry, and Biology compulsorily in their 10+2.
- The candidate must have qualified for the National Eligibility cum Entrance Test (NEET) conducted by the National Testing Agency (NTA).
The NEET is a single-window entrance exam for admission to undergraduate medical and dental courses in India. It is a highly competitive exam; candidates must score well to get into a good BDS college.
Top BDS Colleges in India
- King George’s Medical University, Lucknow
- Maulana Azad Institute of Dental Sciences, New Delhi
- Manipal College of Dental Sciences, Manipal
- Saveetha Institute of Medical and Technical Sciences, Chennai
- A.B. Shetty Memorial Institute of Dental Sciences, Mangalore
- SRM Dental College, Ramapuram Campus, Chennai
- Sri Ramachandra Institute of Higher Education and Research, Chennai
- Manipal College of Dental Sciences, Mangalore
- Institute of Medical Sciences and SUM Hospital – Siksha ‘O’ Anusandhan, Bhubaneswar
- Jamia Millia Islamia, New Delhi
- Government Dental College and Hospital, Bengaluru
Career Opportunities after BDS
After completing BDS, there are several career opportunities available for graduates. Some of the popular career options include:
- Dental Surgeon
- Dental Hygienist
- Dental Assistant
- Dental Lab Technician
- Researcher in the field of Dentistry
Specializations in BDS
Several specializations are available in BDS, which students can choose based on their interests and career aspirations. Some of the prevalent disciplines include:
- Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
READ MORE: Is Architecture a Good Career in India
Reasons to Choose BDS
There are several reasons why one should choose BDS as a career option. Some of them include:
- High demand for dental care
- Scope for entrepreneurship
- Opportunity to work with the latest technology
- Good earning potential
- Opportunity to make a difference in people’s lives
Challenges in BDS
Like any other profession, BDS also has its share of challenges. Some of the common challenges faced by dentists include:
- Long working hours
- High-pressure environment
- Dealing with anxious patients
- Risk of exposure to infectious diseases
Advantages of Pursuing BDS
Despite the challenges, there are several advantages to pursuing BDS. Some of them include:
- Chance to work in a growing industry
- Opportunity to work with patients from diverse backgrounds
- Ability to make a positive impact on people’s lives
- High job satisfaction
- Continuous learning and growth opportunities
Salary Packages after BDS
The salary packages after BDS in India vary depending on several factors, including the type of employer, the location of the job, the candidate’s experience, and their skills. However, the average salary for a BDS graduate in India is around INR 6.5 LPA.
Fresh BDS graduates can expect to earn a starting salary of around INR 3 LPA to INR 5 LPA. Their experience and skills can increase their pay to INR 10 LPA or more.
The highest-paying jobs for BDS graduates are in the private sector, such as in private dental clinics and hospitals. BDS graduates can also find well-paying jobs in the government sector, such as hospitals and dental colleges.
What is the duration of the BDS program?
The BDS program lasts five years, including theoretical and practical training.
What are the eligibility criteria for BDS?
A candidate must have completed their 10+2 with Physics, Chemistry, and Biology as their primary subjects to be eligible for BDS. The candidate must have scored at least 50% in their 10+2 examination. Additionally, the candidate must have cleared the NEET (National Eligibility cum Entrance Test) exam, which is conducted by the National Testing Agency (NTA).
What are the career opportunities available after completing BDS?
After completing BDS, there are several career opportunities available for graduates. Some popular career options include Dental Surgeon, Dental Hygienist, Dental Assistant, Dental Lab Technician, and Researcher in Dentistry.
What are the popular specializations available in BDS?
Several specializations are available in BDS, which students can choose based on their interests and career aspirations. Some popular disciplines include Orthodontics, Endodontics, Periodontics, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, and Prosthodontics.
What is the salary package for BDS graduates?
The salary packages for BDS graduates can vary depending on several factors, such as experience, location, and specialization. A dental surgeon can earn anywhere between Rs. 3-7 lakhs per annum.
In conclusion, pursuing BDS can be an excellent career choice for those passionate about oral health and dental care. With the increasing demand for dental care, career growth has a significant scope. While there are challenges, the advantages and rewards of pursuing BDS make it a fulfilling career option.